Dear SGRA families,
The Pedlar Family is an integral part of our ringette family and both Brian and Robin are active SGRA volunteers. Just over a week ago, their 8-year old son Hudson contracted H1N1 (influenza) with additional complications. He is currently being cared for in the Stollery Children's Hospital Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
We all want to help and support the Pedlar family through this difficult time. Here are some suggestions:
- Get informed about H1N1 (influenza) and some common sense strategies to protect yourself and those around you, especially the most vulnerable in our community (the young, elderly, sick). Get the facts via the Alberta Health Services website. Washing hands, covering a cough, staying home when ill and not sharing water bottles are good ideas to keep everyone healthy and reduce the risk of getting sick, anytime of the year. Shaking hands with gloves ON after a game may also be a lower risk choice. Consider including hand sanitizer in your first aid kit and use it prior to after-game treats. Flu shot clinics are available at Westview Health Centre in Stony Plain, Spruce Grove Health Centre and most pharmacies.
- For those that want to contribute financially, the family has set up an account at CIBC:
- To e-transfer: Send to firstname.lastname@example.org using the password Hudson6
- In person: Account number is 1859-7067186
- Cheque: Make it payable to “Brian Pedlar and Todd Mitchell” (not the “Pedlar family" as there would be no way to cash it)
- Use your best judgement when sharing information, especially on social media, to ensure that is both factual and sensitive. Who and what are your sources? How would the family feel if the information was shared?
- Talk with your kids with age-appropriate language. Explain that that Hudson is very sick, but he is strong, being well taken care of and is slowly getting better. If you need resources or support, contact your child's school or healthcare practitioner. Parents can dial 211 for 24-hour access to community referral information.
- Respect the Pedlars’ request for privacy and space, so that they can focus on caring for Hudson, Lauren and themselves. They have expressed a desire to allow Lauren time at the rink "to just be a kid", who loves ringette and her friends.
- Continue to offer words and photos of hope, encouragement and support using the #Hudsonstrong hashtag. When they have a minute, they do read these messages and have expressed appreciation and gratitude for the love coming from their community.
There will be many opportunities in the coming weeks and months to support the Pedlar family. This is just the beginning of a long journey to recovery and the ringette community will be there for them, every step of the way. SGRA is in contact with the Pedlar family on an ongoing basis and we will keep members informed of additional plans for support, based on what their ongoing needs are and as things evolve.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
Your SGRA Board